Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A U T U M N


  1. i could talk about this one word for a zillion years and think of a zillion words to use to describe this one word…if that even made any sense at all…
    but for real…
    i. adore. fall.
    there are just so many things about it that i love!
    the briskness in the air.
    the way the sky turns a slightly grayer shade of blue.
    the sound of leaves dancing on the tips of tree branches and the scilence of them falling to the soft, damp earth.
    the calm of the night and the glisten of the stars as they shift from stark crystal lights to soft amber glows against the evening, navy sky
    the feeling of warm winds tossling your hair and the welcome  tangles that result at the end of a flawless fall afternoon
    the way my eyes sparkle just a little brighter than usual because everything seems so new and fresh and i walk with my head held just a little higher because i don’t want to miss the chaging of even one delicate leaf from that deep vibrant green into that warm embracing pallet of golden amber and mahogany.
    the way that words like september and autumn and cinamon gently glide off of your tongue and the ability they have to carry with them their own flavor and aroma simply by speaking them into existence.
    the way that all of this together produces inspiration and the innate desire to curl up in a big comfy chair with a warm swirling cup of coffee in an oversized sweatshirt and create.
    fall has this way of reminding you that seasons and transitions are simply a part of life. that while the summer may have been warm and comfortable and simple, fall in all of it’s complexities and details will welcome you in with its rich colors and sents and flavors…that change is just a beautiful necessity in life just waiting for you to accept it and embrace it…
    and now….my list of favorite fall moments so far…
    1. september 1…the first day of my favorite month of the year…perfection. it was a gray and rainy day which permitted me to leave my hair as it was and embrace the waves that would come from the endless terrential down pour. cool enough for a huge greeen sweatshirt and still warm enough for me to roll my jeans. and to top it off, a perfect little break in the middle of my morning long enough to make a giant cup of coffee enhanced by cinamon bun creamer and curl up in my round turquoise chair while the fresh fall breeze swept in through my fifth story window…it just does not get much better than that.
    2. i discovered more irony of my life…i love the rain just as much as i love the sun. really. i cannot decide which i love more…it’s also ironic that i love to be barefoot but i hate having dirty feet…
    3. my absolute favorite day of the entire year is september 17…you can ask why…but i will not be able to give you an answer. it is almost here! but as if my random obsession with this seemingly insignificant date is not strange enough…i have come to love just the combonation of those numbers so much that i even get excited when the time is 9:17…so much so that i have set our hall devotions to begin promptly at 9:17…
    4. this morning i woke up to a lovely sunday sunrise….the first thing i did subcounciously was reach into my bag, pull out my camera, and attempt to take a picture of what i saw from my window…i took several because they were not coming out like i wanted them too and then laid down my camera and went back to sleep…
    5. looking accross my room and out of my open fifth story window„ the lights for some reason are sparkling just like stars. i am not even exagerating either…it’s the coolest thing and well of course i am just convinced it is more beautiful because it is fall
    6. tonight i babysat for two of my favorite little kiddos-miah and isaiah and we just spent the evening outside barefoot in the grass running and rolling and swinging.
    7. tomorrow i shall fly a kite with two of my favorite people on the whole entire planet.
    8. it is nearly time to utilize the classy gray trench and knitted blue hat that together encompass the autumn sky in the form of clothing.
    9. i have already begun going out of my way to step on crunchy leaves.
    i shall leave you with a quote…or several rather…
    “I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house.  
    So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air.
    -  Nathaniel Hawthorne-
    “A few days ago I walked along the edge of the lake and was treated to the crunch and rustle of leaves with each step I made.  The acoustics of this season are different and all sounds, no matter how hushed, are as crisp as autumn air.”
    -   Eric Sloane-
    “Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.”
    -   Stanley Horowitz-



No comments:

Post a Comment