Tuesday, August 29, 2017

A Call to Give

Well.
It's been a little while.
Since the last time I posted, I've moved home from Mexico, pit stopped in Brooklyn, spent a couple of weeks in Israel, and have somewhat settled back into life in the Midwest.

I'm still in awe of my ability to send and receive texts without wifi connection,  and the endless supply of ice, and I'll confess, I still respond with si rather than yes most of the time.

Emphasis on somewhat.

I feel very at peace about this season that I have appropriately #ed #transitiontime. Unlike the last time I found myself wandering around the Midwest, this time I'm certain that I am to invest in spite of how long I am here. To enjoy precious and limited moments with my family in the simplest of ways. Sunday dinners and morning coffee with my Grandma. Lunch dates with my mom even though we live together. I'm excited about pouring into the teenagers at my church and deepening connections with them. And I have, of course, already figured out how to be involved with a Walk for Freedom in my area. Which brings me to this post.

As most of you know, if you follow me on any social media at all, I am super passionate about helping to end human trafficking (modern day slavery) in my generation. Thankfully, God has opened lots of doors the past few years and presented many opportunities for me to actually get involved be it  through walks for freedom,  dress-ember, sharing my passion with my students, or even just sending letters off to one of the after care homes. (Still hoping people understand why I am constantly posting photos of myself in dresses during the month of December -_-)

Each year God seems to grow this passion a little bit more and inspire me to step out a little bit further and to speak up a little bit louder. The reality remains. 

>Human Trafficking IS slavery

>>Human Trafficking is the fast-growing criminal industry in the world bringing in more than $150 billion/year

>>>More than 27 million men, women, and CHILDREN are trapped in human slavery today.



>>>> Only 1% are ever rescued. 

>>>>> Human Trafficking is an issue in almost every country in the world...including the US!


>>>>>> Every 30 seconds someone becomes a victim of human trafficking.



>>B U T...

We can do something about it!

Me AND You!

Thus far in my life, I have felt the call to go. To get on planes and cross borders and carry the light and love and truth of Jesus into the darkness wherever He may lead. But in this season, I have felt a very distinct call to give instead. To stay still for a little while-for once-and to give everything I have got from right here. 

With that in mind, I was thrilled to see the promo video on the A21 Instagram page today! (If you don't follow them already, DO IT! For real...it will inspire and encourage you, I pa-romise!)

I have had the joy and the humbling privilege to walk in the A21 Walk for Freedom 2/3 years that it has been in existence. With thousands of men and women sharing one mind and heart and with immense amounts of passion, we walked through the center-the heart-of Guadalajara, Mexico praying that eyes and hearts would be opened and that freedom would be found for many enslaved all around us and around the world. What I love about the Walk for Freedom is that it's happening every single October in HUNDREDS of cities around the world! That means that even though I'm back in Ohio and wherever you might find yourself this year, there is more than likely a walk happening near us that we can get involved with! I already found two near me and registered to walk for freedom in Cleveland this year! Go check out A21.org where you can easily register for a walk near you. 




This year, I decided to take it one step further. This year I decided to do something I've never liked doing very much....

--fundraise--

And you know what...it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be to push that button on the site. You know why? 
Because I've never had a better reason and I've never been more passionate about anything in my life. 

Because I want to do anything and everything I can for as long as I can to be a part of this cause. 

Because if putting myself out there and speaking up and using my voice and my freedom can mean freedom for even just one, then I'll never stop. 

I'm wondering if maybe this year you'll step out with me. If this year you will decide that enough is enough and that for the sake of our sons and daughters and sisters and brothers and friends and cousins you'll give or go or perhaps do both. 

If this is resonating with you on any level, PLEASE get in touch with me! More than anything, I want to be an activist. An advocate. I love this word---an Abolitionist   More than anything I want to educate and spread the passion, help others be a voice. Because of course together we can make the most difference and make freedom a reality for many! 

Here are some ways you can get involved and get in touch with me :) 

#1 Check out my fundraising page:
https://www.a21.org/selfservice/fundraising-view.php?id=55731

#2 Find a walk near you and join the fight for freedom.
http://www.a21.org/content/walk-for-freedom/go8h3c

#3 Invite friends to give or go with you!

#4 Share this post or any info about human trafficking on your own social media platforms. Feel free to save/download ANY of my images from this post! (Let me know that you've done so and get yourself in a drawing for some fun goodies!)

#5 Share your creative ideas for speaking out with the rest of us!

The point is. We can do something and we cannot afford to do nothing. They cannot afford for us to do nothing. The ball is in our court. Let's get going!




-Rachel














No comments:

Post a Comment